Saturday, January 21, 2012

Confessions Of A Serial Dieter - Kalli Purie

Seriously?!! There are people who actually do this - wow! I mean I have lived to eat and yet I am an amateur in my family. Gourmandism runs in my family….we can discuss food for hours together at endless length. Thanks to either my metabolism or the stress levels at work (;)) I have managed to stay in a reasonable shape. But I am amazed at the author's perseverance to achieve what she has achieved. It is indeed a feat! Especially considering the fact that she also comes from a family of foodies.


A very well written and light memoir, and the author brings a flavor of the 'Punjabi' humor to her writing. What I would have liked to see is more on the fitness aspect. I am a firm believer of eat what you want and what you can, (well that's changing a bit after I have entered the elite 30s club!) and clean it up with a regular and disciplined routine of exercise.

On a lot of counts I disagree with what the author has written - appearance and looks don’t really matter so much. Yes they do matter the first time when you have just one chance to prove, to make the sales pitch of your life! But hey, why think tactical...if you are aiming for a long term view then what really matters is your personality, your attitude, your approach towards things. The impact of the appearance fades off after a while, what stays on is what is actionable. So in that sense everything isnt about appearances! But yes, on a few counts I do agree that at times appearances matter.


We are already starting to see the evils of obesity in India - the increase in the diseases of the rich, the McDs and Dominos food becoming more popular with kids, the evils of the television to which kids are glued to...all this is eventually going to lead to an 'Americanized' society in India! So rather than promoting the kids to go to Hitler farms and various other tortures, just set a good and clean example of eating and exercising to your kids.

After all "We always make time for what we really want to do"!


A light reading, but I could not relate to some of the things dished out by the author and the diet experiences that she has shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment